These are efficient, cheap and relatively accurate cutting methods for steel processing. Plasma can also be used to cut stainless steel and aluminum. However, due to the high thermal stresses and relatively low accuracy, these methods are usually used to cut workpieces which are further processed, or to cut parts for welded structures. Cutting with plasma or gas can cause bending of the parts, slag formation and also the oxide film inevitably occurs at the cut point.
Main technical data of plasma and gas cutting machine Cortina DS-3100 manufactured by Czech company MGM s.r.o.:
- Plasma source: Thermal Dynamics Pak Master 150XL;
- Maximum thickness of quality plasma cut: 20 mm (carbon non-alloy steel);
- Maximum dividing plasma cut: 38 mm;
- Maximum thickness of gas cut: 230 mm;
- Positioning accuracy: +/- 0.1 mm;
- Table dimensions: 2500 × 13000 mm;
- Maximum workpiece weight: 800 kg/m²;
- Maximum cutting speed: 7.0 m/min;
- Achievable cut quality: in accordance with ISO 9013-2002 requirements.